Turning Back the Pages

30 years ago – December 4, 1987

Santa Claus had as much fun as the children who were elated to tell him all about their Christmas wishes at the annual Christmases Remembered Festival, December 27, 28, and 29. Santa Claus was only one of the attractions at the event. For the first time, Holiday Home Tours were conducted at seven different homes. The event was successful, 150 tickets were sold. A concert at St. James Methodist Church was the highlight of the event on Sunday. Central City resident Naomi Fellows, organizer of the concert, was accompanied by George Smith, guitarist, leading the audience in Christmas carols. Two dramatic readings were given by Patricia Wendleton. Fran Cooke of Gilpin County, well known for her talent, was the soloist. A bazaar, held at the Clark Gym, attracted locals and tourists alike browsing for Christmas presents and special gifts.

The civil suit to claim Thomas Sundermeyer’s Central City house has been dismissed. Rowe, Stanton, attorney for Sundermeyer, received the information on Wednesday. He said the Jefferson County District Attorney’s Office is relinquishing all claims filed in the civil action. The district attorney’s office filed the civil action suit at the request of the Central City Police Department. Sundermeyer received the summons, a “Public Nuisance Forfeiture,” on November 7. The suit was the result of an alleged charge that Sundermeyer cultivated marijuana on his property. Sundermeyer is being charged with allegedly cultivating marijuana. A trial date has not been set. Before the dismissal, Sundermeyer faced losing his home valued at $80,000. Included in the suit, was a claim against all his furniture, fixtures, appliances, equipment, etc. The Central City Council on November 18 agreed unanimously to contact the district attorney at the earliest possible time to effect dismissal of the civil suit pending against Thomas Sundermeyer. Prior to the meeting, November 18, a number of residents vehemently protested the civil suit. Stanton said this week, this is what a local government can and should do in matters of this nature.

Central City Council discussed police policy at a work session on November 25. Chief of Police Mike Brewer reportedly was asked for clarification of the events leading to the civil suit filed by the District Attorney’s Office to seize the Central City home of Thomas Sundermeyer, said Jack Hidahl, city clerk and administrator. The council is considering adding language to the city policy manual that will require any city employee or official to consult with council before initiating any action that will lead to a civil suit on behalf of a city agency, Hidahl reported. Much of the meeting was held in a closed door, private session.

A tentative schedule has been created to being to meet the needs of students for after school transportation. Rides home are already being provided for Nederland Elementary School students after community school programs, whenever possible. After tallying the response from students who completed a questionnaire concerning transportation, the days, times and areas were decided upon. Rides home are available for those who live along the way to one of the areas of St. Anton’s, Coal Creek, and Gilpin from Nederland Jr/Sr High. Transportation will be provided depending upon the number of riders to each area. A minimum of four riders are necessary to warrant utilizing the van. A maximum of 14 high school/17 elementary students are allowed. Anyone interested in going home on one of these routs must reserve a seat. Scheduling is subject to change depending on student response and use. Weekly schedules will be publicized when established.

Died: Robert Ray: Eulogy: Perhaps you didn’t know him by name, but you may have wondered about the elderly gentleman who lived on Highway 119 near the U.S. Highway 6 junction. He lived in a small cabin next to the creek, mining for gold out of North Clear Creek using sluice boxes. To those who knew him, he was a shy yet friendly, intelligent, gentle and religious man. He commanded great respect for his self-sufficiency. In spite of a lifestyle which most of us would have thought difficult, especially if we were 82 years old, he chose to live quite simply without water, central heat, or electricity. Robert Ray was born in Sheridan, Wyoming, and raised in Riverton, Wyoming. He worked with his father in the plumbing business after finishing school. When he was 18 years old he joined the Navy. He received an honorable discharge after four years in the Navy, returning to civilian life during the Depression years. After struggling with several odd jobs, he became fascinated with gold mining and worked in various mining areas of Colorado until he was drafted by the Army for World War II. After he earned his second honorable discharge, he worked for the government in Ogden, Utah. Finally, he returned to Colorado, gold mining using sluice boxes in the Golden area. Robert Ray moved to Black Hawk 35 years ago and lived in the same spot until his death this year. He was never married. He will be missed by those people who knew him. He is survived by his sister, Jeannette Swanson, who lives in Denver.

60 years ago – December 6, 1957

Central City Nuggets

Frank Potter was taken to Denver Wednesday morning to receive treatment at Colorado General Hospital for injuries sustained to his legs several weeks ago, when he was struck by a car on Main Street.

The Ladies of the Susannah Wesley Society met Wednesday afternoon with Mrs. Goodpasture. They are working on cancer pads for their project for the year. The next meeting will be Saturday afternoon, December 7th, at the home of Mrs. Emma Eccker, in Black Hawk, with Mrs. Lettie Gray as co-hostess.

Mr. Dickson and Mr. Mattivi accompanied the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th grades to Denver on Wednesday where they visited the Capitol building and the State Museum.

Principal Ralph Calabrese, Coach Don Mattivi, and Mrs. Maxine Gray of the high school faculty, and members of the Pep club accompanied the basketball team to Fairplay today, where the team will enter the tournament being held there today and tomorrow. We hope their endeavors will be crowned with laurels.

Black Hawk Gold Dust

A baby daughter was born to Mr. And Mrs. Gene Anderle at Colorado General Hospital Tuesday night. The baby weighed 5.5 lbs. and has been named Cynthia Louise.

Mr. Edward Blake and daughter Evelyn were here from Las Vegas, Nevada, for the Thanksgiving holidays. After visiting relatives here and in Idaho Springs, they left Saturday in Evelyn’s new Chevrolet.

Mary, the little daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Robert Pipes, is able to be home after several days spent in Children’s Hospital with pneumonia.

Mrs. Mary Plank was in Denver two days last week visiting friends.

Miss Gail Builler, a WAVE in the U.S. Navy and Leonard Branning of Central City were married last week near Chicago where Gail has been stationed. They expect to return to Colorado in the next few days.

Emma and Kathryn Eccker were among those attending an Open House party at the home of Anson and Peggy Page, whose twelve room house in Lakewood vicinity has recently been completed. The Page family formerly lived in Black Hawk and we rejoice in their good fortune.

90 years ago – December 9, 1927

A snowstorm visited the mountain section on Tuesday, leaving a couple of inches, which was followed by a cold wave that night, when thermometers dropped to 11 to 14 degrees below zero. Early Wednesday morning a westerly wind in the shape of a blizzard made the air biting cold and from 4 to 6 below, and the day the most disagreeable one of the season.

The boys and girls basketball teams of the local high school journeyed to Idaho Springs last Friday evening, and met the corresponding teams of that high school in the first game of the season. The local girls’ team was defeated by the score of 20 to 10, but the local boys’ team was victorious by the narrow margin of one basket, 17 to 15. Both were very good games, replete with thrilling plays and much hard work and clever passing. The boys’ game was the more exciting, and while the local team lacked teamwork and knowledge of positions, individual work was what accorded them victory. This Friday evening, at the Black Hawk gymnasium, the boys’ team of the high school will play the strong Booster team. Admission is placed at 15 cents for children and 25 cents for adults, and will be a game well worth seeing. The Booster team is developing into one of the fastest aggregation of players seen here in many years, and expect to give the people of this vicinity many interesting games with many of the strongest teams of the valley. Your support is needed, and you will be well repaid for your two bits.

The nation that goes to war at this particular moment had better be equipped with a properly drawn last will and testament.

Barouni Olives Adapted for Pickling When Ripe by Nellie Maxwell: Olives as familiar to the American table are usually the green olives pickled whole or with pits removed and stuffed. In the Mediterranean countries it is customary to use the ripened fruit cured in salt, which forms a staple part of the daily diet of the workers. The ripe olive cured in salt is only rarely used here. The United States Department of Agriculture has introduced a new variety called the Barouni olive, specially adapted for pickling ripe, which is a native of north Africa, and an original stock of three trees has expanded until there are now orchards of about 100 acres total area in California.

Miss Nellie Vincent returned Saturday evening from a month’s visit at Sterling, Colorado.

Mr. And Mrs. Reuben McKay motored up from Denver Sunday, accompanied by his father, Mr. Neil McKay who spent Thanksgiving week at their homes and took in the many attractions which the city afforded.

Mrs. C.I. Parsons left Sunday for Canyon City, on a visit with her brother and family.

120 years ago – December 10, 1897

Mrs. Matthew Bennets, formerly of this city, who had been visiting her sister, Mrs. Robert Wilkinson, left for her home in Denver on Monday.

Mr. John Odgers was confined to his home during the week on account of an attack of erysipelas.

Mr. C.C. Anderson, of Boise City, Montana, arrived in Central last Saturday on business connected with his Golden Rule store, returning to the valley Monday morning.

Michael Spangler, the newly appointed receiver for the Crown Point and Virginia Mine at the head of Virginia Canyon, received serious injuries Tuesday evening, while being hoisted from the shaft. In company with two visitors from the east, they were examining the lower workings, and were ready to be hoisted to the surface – the two gentlemen got inside the bucket, with Mr. Spangler riding on the edge of the bucket. The shaft is an incline shaft and at the 350 foot level, Mr. Spangler was caught by a timer, and his back broken. The engineer on the surface felt the jar on the rope and stopped the hoist and a man was sent down to investigate the trouble. Arriving where the bucket stopped in the shaft, the two visitors were taken out of the bucket and Mr. Spangler placed inside, and was hoisted to the surface. Dr. R.L. Ashbaugh and Dr. Asquith of this city were summoned and, after an examination, and the serious condition was seen, he was taken to Idaho Springs, and a special train took him to St. Luke’s Hospital, Denver. His injuries are so serious that very little hopes are held out for his recovery.

Allison Platt, a well-known miner at Apex, was badly injured the first of the week while tamping a charge of powder in a hole, which he was loading. The charge exploded and the flying rock cut his face, hands, and arms. He managed to get out of the mine, and made his way to a neighboring cabin where he was given emergency treatment and taken to Apex, where Dr. Farnsworth attended to his injuries which were not considered serious.

A shipment of smelting ore taken from the new strike of the 150 foot level of the Aurora Mine in Russell Gulch gave returns of $255.78 per ton. The above was shipped as a test lot, and a larger shunt will be made in a few days.

A force of 50 men are working in the Concrete Mine in Prosser Gulch, which last month shipped 1,600 tons of mill and smelting ore to the mill and smelters. Both grades of ore were of the usual good grades and manager Newell says that the property is in better shape than ever before.

Born: In Black Hawk, November 30th, 1897, to the wife of Michael Carey, a son.

Born: In Nevadaville, November 29th, 1897 to the wife of Solomon James, a son.

Born: In Black Hawk, December 9th, 1897, to the wife of L. Jones, a son.

Born: In Russell Gulch, December 9th, 1897, to the wife of Amos Goddard, a daughter.

Born: In Russell Gulch, December 5th, 1897, to the wife of John Friggins, a daughter.

Died: In Denver, December 2nd, 1897, Mrs. Catherine Wasley, formerly of Russell Gulch, aged 39 years.

Died: In Denver, December 2nd, 1897, Judge D.D. Belden, aged 76 years.

Died: In Central City, December 6th, 1897, of typhoid fever, Danial McKaw, aged 25 years.

Died: In Central City, December 9th, 1897, of pneumonia, Edward Hatch, aged 32 years.

146 years ago – December, 1872

Mining is more actively and extensively prosecuted in Nevada district at present than elsewhere in the Territory. Those best informed say it is true however, that work is soon to be started on the Gregory. Something like the good old times may then return to us.

A new Knabe piano was set up in the parlor of the Teller House yesterday. It is a fine resonant instrument, and if Baker of the Topeka Commonwealth were here, he would say its echoes reverberated through the canyons and gorges of the mountains, and by the winds from the Snowy Range were borne eastward to die a faint melody on the distant plains.

Walcott & Lewis, lessees of the Garrison claim on the Kansas lode, like many others, have labored long unprofitably in the cap, but at the depth of about 310 feet they are just coming into pay. They have secured a good backer in Mr. Truman Whitcomb, and we hope their claim, like so many others on this valuable lode, will soon be yielding largely. There are certainly none in the county that deserve better by reason of industry and perseverance than the essays of this claim.

The reconstruction of the old theatre is proceeding with so much energy as to promise its completion by the close of next week, or by the 25th at the latest. Mr. Allen telegraphed yesterday that the Zavistowsky sisters were a great success, and were attracting immense houses. He hopes to reopen his theatre here by the 24th. Mr. Nat Young the present owner of the building has made arrangements for placing it in much better condition than was at first decided upon. The stage is rebuilt entirely, new dressing or “green rooms,” to be built, the upper part of the auditorium, now cheaply disguised with discolored canvas, is to be neatly redone and decorated appropriately; the gallery refurnished, new outside platforms laid, and additional provision made for the egress of large audiences. When done, our little temple will be decidedly creditable to its owner and the city.

The next stupendous enterprise to be started in Denver is a big new tavern. From the description of it in the News, it will be fully one half the size of the Teller House in this city.

About Aaron Storms

Publisher & Managing Editor Weekly Register-Call
This entry was posted in Community, History, News and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.